This weekend I’m visiting my parents in country Victoria so probably won’t get to cook from any of my books (unless I find I share one with my parents and the ingredients are available). So to tide you over, here is a quick, easy, and tasty recipe I make when I have the ingredients around. I make this by tossing things together, so use more or less of the ingredients as you like, and remember that my measurements are approximate.
- 1 large eggplant
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 500g chicken mince
- 1/3 cup sherry
- enough pasta for 4 (or more if necessary)
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C, put baking paper on a baking tray (biscuit tray)
- Dice eggplant, toss in some olive oil (to taste really – eggplant will absorb as much oil as it possibly can, and the more oil you use the softer it will end up after baking, but it will release a lot of that oil). Best would probably be about 2 – 4 tablespoons depending on the size of your eggplant.
- Put eggplant on baking tray and make sure the skin is underneath the eggplant as much as possible. Put into the oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes (the eggplant should be a nice brown colour).
- Meanwhile slice the onion finely and crush the garlic. Chop the tomatoes.
- Put some olive oil in a large frying pan (1 – 2 tablespoons), once the oil is heated through, add onion and garlic and saute until the onion is transparent. Add the chicken mince and cook through.
- Once the mince is cooked through add the tomatoes, sherry and dried basil, simmer gently.
- Boil water for the pasta and cook according to packet directions.
- Once the eggplants are cooked, add to the chicken mixture.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add to the chicken and eggplant mixture.
- Serve generously covered with parmesan cheese.